I turned 24 today and yesterday I got full top and partial bottom dentures. At the moment my mouth is killing me the pain medicine isnt working and I just want to cry... :( I don't know what else to do...
Its my birthday and my 2nd day with dentures! :(Posted: July 20, 2012 11:00 pm
5. Reply to Its my birthday and my 2nd day with dentures! :( by RubySparrow
Posted: July 24, 2012 7:25 pm
Hi Ruby, I hope things are getting better for you. Sorry I didn't post sooner, was away for a couple of days. Happy Belated Birthday!! I really do wish you the best, and I hope the pain has diminished some, and everyday is getting a little better. Let us know how you are doing, take care.
4. Reply to Its my birthday and my 2nd day with dentures! :( by RubySparrow
Posted: July 23, 2012 5:05 pm
How was your weekend? I know it must have been very difficult to have to work Saturday morning, but I hope you're feeling better. What an experience, to have to move to another dentist in the middle of your surgery.
IHaveAGreatDentist provided such helpful advice. It's good to know that even small adjustments will provide relief, and using this time to pamper yourself is a wonderful idea.
I've been thinking about you over the weekend and look forward to hearing from you again!
3. Reply to Its my birthday and my 2nd day with dentures! :( by RubySparrow
Posted: July 21, 2012 9:27 am
Happy Birthday, Ruby Sparow.
I am no stranger to dental pain and dental procedures and, for a little more than over a year, I have been an upper denture wearer. So, on the basis of my years of experience, and with lots of compassion (your description almost makes me feel your pain and certainly makes me recall my pain), I advise the following:
1. Although it is hard, try to stay calm and keep your wits about you. Do not think about the past and stop blaming yourself (after all, not all dental problems result from dental neglect and lots of dental problems are genetic). Think about the future, including how pain free you will be, how beautiful your smile is and will be, and how much better all of your future birthdays will be. Keep telling yourself you will be a successful denture wearer.
2. As Karen also advised, contact your dentist immediately (and, if necessary, use the emergency number to do so). Perhaps, your dentist will change your medication. Ask your dentist if your dentist can be adjusted so that it does not bother the previously abscessed area so much. Also, ask your dentist if the stitch that is bothering you can be trimmed so that it doesn't seem to be going down your throat. You will be pleasantly surprised how much small adjustments can help. Also, you will be reassured by a professional.
3. You need time to heal (and, in this regard, the first week is the worst). If you possibly can, try not to have to work or otherwise maintain a schedule. Pamper yourself -- have a manicure and a pedicure, read magazines, watch funny movies and drink chcolate milkshakes. Ask a friend to sit with you (or, if you don't want to be seen right now, to be in constant contact with you by telephone).
4. I don't think you will do any harm by wearing your dentures continuously, except for short periods when you rinse your mouth and gums with warm salt water (which will promote healing and make you feel better). In fact, most dentists advise such continuous wear because dentures act like bandages and keep swelling down.
5. It will get better. Some of us have a rougher time with their extractions than others, but we all heal and recover.
Good luck. Please post again to let us know how you are doing. We will respond (and you will not feel so alone).
2. Reply to Its my birthday and my 2nd day with dentures! :( by Karen @ Fixodent
Posted: July 21, 2012 1:20 am
Thanks, I am going to try to talk to the tomorrow. My lower partial is scraping my tounge, and I had an absesed tooth that wouldnt heal now my uper denture is rubbing it. I have a stitch that is really long and when my dentures are out it can almost reach my throght. I am supposed to take them out at night but I am so uncomfortable having them out that I can't sleep. Just the feeling and the taste of blood freaks me out. I had 22 extractions total and It was a difficult procedure were I had to be loaded up and moved to another dentist mid surgery because the first one was incapable of doing his job with out knowingly inflicting pain on me. Luck for me the secound new what he was doing and finished the process. I have been taking 800mg of Ibuprofen and my Percocet as well as my antibiotic. But today has been very bad, to the point I wish I had never done it. My abses was nothing compared to this. I have to work for just a bit in the morning witch is only about 4 hours from now and I am so sleepy but now If I fall asleep I am afrain I will over sleep being on all this medicine. I really wish I had taken better of my teeth to start with. To late now I guess I just wish I was past all this hard part...
1. Reply to Its my birthday and my 2nd day with dentures! :( by RubySparrow
Posted: July 21, 2012 12:16 am
Happy Birthday, Dear RubySparrow, Happy Birthday To You!
I'm Karen, the Fixodent Community Manager, and I hate to hear you're in so much pain. I'm glad you reached out tonight. The level of pain following extractions varies, but if you're still experiencing this much pain by morning, please call your dentist. He or she may be able to suggest something to help, such as supplementing your pain medicine with ibuprofen. But be sure to check this out with your dentist first though. You may have already tried this, but you can also apply an ice pack to your face for about 15 minutes at a time. A bag of frozen vegetables works well.
I know the pain is unbearable right now, but it will diminish. Please write back later this weekend to let me know how you're doing.